Bi-State Development Transit Service Manager- Paratransit in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is a first line supervisor responsible for directing the work of 200 van operators and 40 salaried employees engaged in providing customer-orientated transit service to the Agency's operating area. Responsible for insuring the delivery of safe, reliable, timely, and hospitable service to customers. Coordinates with the other departments and agencies to optimize productivity and minimize service interruptions. The incumbent reports to the Manager of Paratransit Operations and responds to instructions and information from a -Radio Dispatch Supervisor while performing assignments
- Develop and supervise employees; set goals, provide monthly feedback, document performance and conduct annual performance appraisals.
- Supervise the entire Paratransit Van Operator staff; monitor van operator performance through the use of the radio and the PASS software. Observe the dispatchers in the Dispatch Center during their shift and identify performance problems. Hold hearings with the van operators and shop steward as the need arises. Issue disciplines and warnings. Counsel employees.
- Interview and select potential candidates for the Van Operator positions, utilizing the structured Van Operator Interview Process.
- Facilitate Drug & Alcohol Testing and coordinate scheduling of paratransit staff. Assure that testing is administered according to DOT and Agency guidelines and process the resulting paperwork.
- Maintain, review and ensure that all van operator station files reconcile with electronic data records are up to date and containing all customer contacts, disciplines issued, van operator incident reports, workers compensation report of injury, accident reports, and Driver Qualification data.
- Respond to and process all Incidents and Accidents involving Paratransit vehicles and conduct Site Observations according to Agency guidelines.
- Prepare Weekly Overtime Assignments for van operators and distribute daily overtime based on operator policy and procedures, while working with the Dispatch Center Supervisor to ensure that all tours are covered.
- Administer the Division’s Fare and employee attendance policy and assure that all issues are processed according to Agency’s guidelines.
- Communicates understanding and support of organization goals through actions and spoken and written words; interacts effectively with individuals and groups at all levels, while ensures compliance with all applicable policies, rules, regulations, and laws; stays abreast of legal, regulatory, and policy developments affecting areas of responsibility; enforces legal and regulatory requirements impartially.
- Other duties as directed or assigned. Required Experience
Ability to learn Operations Division policies, procedures, Agency regulations and the Union contract. Considerable knowledge of the Paratransit Division fare structure and policies. Considerable knowledge of the street geography of metropolitan St. Louis. Ability to evaluate the work of subordinates. Ability to operate an automobile in a safe and courteous manner. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to evaluate a problem, formulate corrective response, and implement a plan of action to achieve desired results. Ability to make decisions. Possess effective customer service skills. Ability to work in emergency situations. Computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets, and database management are necessary to successfully perform computer related job functions.
Bachelor's Degree is highly desirable in business, transportation or related field with minimum of five (5) years in Transit Operations or Customer Service.
Tracking Code: 292914-713
Job Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular