Washington University of St. Louis Research Specialist - Cell Biology and Physiology - 47771 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Cell Biology and Physiology. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
This position will assist with mass spectrometry-based applications. In particular, we are interested in candidates with extensive experience in designing and executing proteomics and metabolomics experiments, preferably with Thermo Fisher Orbitrap-based instruments, including: sample preparation, assay development, instrumentation care and troubleshooting, database searching, and knowledge of software interfaces. This position will work closely with other members of the Pagliarini Laboratory on collaborative projects exploring mitochondrial biology.
This position provides critically complex research and experimentation for department/s allowing the advancement of scientific analysis and discovery. Serves as a subject matter expert offering support, training and guidance relative to the discipline/area. May participate and or present on the research developed, or the established work of those within the department.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs complex analyses, experiments and project work under general direction of the PI. Serves as a representative for PI and ensures procedures and protocols are adhered to consistently and effectively meet department’s standard. Exhibits a high degree of independent problem solving and ability to conduct research on assigned projects. May serve in lead role, as needed.
- Plans, develops, organizes and formalizes research results and findings. May develop for presentation and/or present on behalf of department. Conducts literature searches related to research projects. Writes/co-authors publications and/or papers supporting research findings in logical and sometimes multiple formats tailored to audiences. May participate in work related to grants.
- Solves practical problems relating to difficulty with equipment or test subjects. Suggests technical/ procedural improvements in various methods. May develop and optimize experimental procedures and protocols. Provide high level troubleshooting to advance process or lab procedures.
- Serves as the department’s research representative and may participate in various related meetings and events. Gathers/delivers data/information and serves as subject matter expert. Performs statistical data analysis, as needed. Presents research information to internal and/or external audiences.
- Organizes and maintains required documentation on lab and/or specimen conditions, and can develop and summarize information into usable formats or presentations on behalf of the department. May communicate findings to various users or external audiences.
- Performs all related work in accordance with established protocols and safety/compliance requirements.
- May explain methods, lead or train other personnel or observers.
Master’s degree in a related field with seven years of experience in a laboratory setting or an equivalent combination of relevant education and work experience equaling at least ten years.
- Some level of training in biological sciences and/or with prior experience engaging in collaborative biological projects.
- Effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to present on various research topics to internal or external audiences.
- Ability to maintain complete and organized records and reports.
- Demonstrated ability as a self-starter with strong critical thinking and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability and knowledge of computer software and lab equipment including statistical software, spreadsheets, and lab management systems.
- Ability to work in lab research environment.
The hiring range for this position is $40,706 - $54,933 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment and to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Specialist - Cell Biology and Physiology - 47771
Job ID: 47771
Location: Medical School