Washington University of St. Louis Registered Medical Assistant III - Neurology/Adult Clinical Operations - 50383 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Neurology/Adult Clinical Operations. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Position functions as a Registered or Certified Medical Assistant in busy clinical site locations for the providers and provider teams within the Department of Neurology. Prepares and maintains exam rooms. Directs the patient flow, obtains and records meaningful use discrete data into the electronic health record, assists with procedures and/or patient care equipment/supplies. Ensures the overall smooth running of the clinical office.
Demonstrates a high commitment to excellence in service and quality through interactions with team members, Neurology faculty, staff, referring physicians, patients and their families while focusing on service culture and continuously striving to align with the Department of Neurology’s mission and vision.
Overall description of roles (dependent on department need):
- Float position: 1. Ability to float to cover subspecialties in different clinic settings, as needed; 2. Able to function well with minimal guidance in a variety of situations.
- High level support: 1. Performs functions to support physicians in clinical setting; 2. Duties may include patient appointment scheduling, pre-arrival work such as insurance eligibility, pre-certifications, prior authorizations, answering patient calls, checking in patients, collecting required data and entering it into the EMR, placing patients in rooms, non-narcotic prescription renewals, etc.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Patient Care Duties
- May perform both direct patient care and duties that support patient care. Examples are: 1. Direct patient care - vital signs, injections, placing patients in exam rooms, assisting with procedures and/or treatments, cleaning and stocking exam rooms; 2. Supporting patient care - obtaining charts, scheduling tests and/or appointments, obtaining pre-certifications or prior authorizations.
- May assist with patient medication management. Examples are: 1. Completing prescription renewals and authorizations of non-narcotic medications per standing orders and department guidelines; 2. Administering non-narcotic medications under the order of physicians or other advanced practice providers such as Nurse Practitioners or Physician Assistants such as intramuscular, subcutaneous or intradermal injections.
- Communication and Documentation
- May route phone messages, patient questions, and telephone communications to appropriate personnel.
- Completes necessary paperwork and documentation in a timely manner.
- Answers questions from patient/family regarding treatments, diagnosis, and procedures using department standard operating procedures.
- Completes requisitions/orders per Washington University guidelines.
- Other Functions
- Maintains required HIPAA compliance, skills/competencies and participates in inservices, staff programs, continuing education, and cross-training programs according to established standards and Washington University policies.
- Complies with OSHA, state and federal regulatory sources/standards.
- Participates in quality improvement activities to ensure appropriate clinical outcomes and offers recommendations for improved, more efficient care and service.
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent high school certification; a Registered or Certified Medical Assistant with a minimum of 3 years of related work experience (examples of related fields include military medic, emergency medical technicians, Nurse’s Aide, physical therapy and nurse technicians, and certified athletic trainers); substitutions include:
- Medical Assistant certification/registration eligible with successful completion of certification exam within 6 months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program (such as RN/LPN), or comparable allied health training program with a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience
REQUIRED LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Must be able to show proof of Medical Assistant registration/certification or complete Medical Assistant registration/certification within 6 months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager; Basic Life Support certification (Online BLS certifications, those without a skills assessment component, are not sufficient to meet the BLS requirements).
- Three years or more of medical assistant experience.
- Graduate of an accredited medical assistant program is highly preferred.
- Demonstrates effective interactive communication skills with ability to work with physicians, patients, families, significant others, and support staff; must have effective interpersonal, organizational, and telephone skills, working knowledge of anatomy and physiology, fundamentals of medical terminology, and demonstrated knowledge/experience working with electronic medical records.
The hiring range for this position is $15.85 - $19.43 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Registered Medical Assistant III - Neurology/Adult Clinical Operations - 50383
Job ID: 50383
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time