Washington University of St. Louis Patient Billing/Services Representative II - Pediatrics Ambulatory Care - 49634 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Pediatrics Ambulatory Care. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Interacts directly with patients and families to schedule appointments, register demographics, obtain insurance information, and enter the information into the EMR. Determines and collects co-payments, percentage payments, and self-payments. Obtains or verifies referrals for managed care plans. Responsible for pre-arrival to visit work as it relates to patient registration and insurance verification.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Pre-Visit Work
- Complete pre-visit work following department guidelines including EPIC work queues. Verify insurance eligibility for all patient appointments two weeks prior to the date of service. Contact primary care providers for authorizations, documenting status and internal and external referral information in EPIC. Insurance verifications follow plan requirements and WUSM procedure.
- Visit Work
- Register patients for Department of Pediatrics appointments completely and accurately. Verification of patient demographics including home address, telephone numbers, contact person, and account guarantor. Collect, confirm, and enter insurance information in the patient account.
- Responsible for ensuring that the HIPAA Privacy Notice has been offered and documented in EPIC. Obtain and document permission signatures for assignment of benefits and treatment consents.
- Determine, collect, and document payments following the department and WUSM guidelines. Maintain a copay collection rate of 90% or greater.
- Offer to and complete the My Chart enrollment for the patient and the families following the Department of Pediatrics and WUSM guidelines.
- Post –Visit Work
- Schedule all appointment types for the Department of Pediatric visits.
- Schedule interpreter services for patient appointments following department guidelines.
- Assist patients and families by generating work and school notes, validating parking (when applicable), providing directions, and providing related visit information.
- Follow Point of Service (POS) Payment Policy and the end of day closing procedures. Responsible for following HIPAA regulations at end of day closing.
- Identify and report duplicate accounts that have been created in EMR per EPIC guidelines.
- Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain HIPAA compliance, skills/competencies and participate in in-services, staff programs, continuing education and cross training programs according to established standards and Washington University policies.
- Comply with OSHA, state and federal regulatory sources/standards.
- Preceptor for new staff.
- High school diploma or equivalent high school certification required with three years of experience in billing systems and third-party claims and/or experience in a medical office setting or related customer service/office experience.
- REQUIRED LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Basic Life Support certification (Online BLS certifications, those without a skills assessment component, are not sufficient to meet the BLS requirements).
- Pediatric experience.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and working knowledge of insurance and financial options.
- Interactive communication skills with the ability to work with physicians, patients, families, co-workers, other staff, and supervisor/manager.
- Strong organizational and telephone skills.
- Experience/knowledge of PC’s.
- Experience with electronic EMR and electronic scheduling and registration systems.
The hiring range for this position is $15.85 - $19.43 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Patient Billing/Services Representative II - Pediatrics Ambulatory Care - 49634
Job ID: 49634
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time