Washington University of St. Louis Community Outreach Representative II - Pediatrics Infectious Disease - 49268 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Must be able to work evenings and weekends, as necessary.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Pediatrics Infectious Disease. The position is located at 4169 Laclede. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The Community Outreach Representative II will function as an Mpowerment project coordinator and HIV/STI tester within the Project ARK prevention program. The essence of the program is community organizing, mobilization and empowerment in order to facilitate the creation of a young gay and bisexual men’s community in which young gay and bisexual men encourage each other to practice safer sex. Must be knowledgeable about HIV prevention, human sexuality, and positive youth development. Must be comfortable discussing sex and prevention strategies with diverse populations of youth and young adults.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordination / Community Implementation
- Coordinate the peer outreach and groups of an evidence-based HIV prevention and community-building program for young gay and bisexual men between the ages of 18 and 29.
- Participate in the design and preparation of outreach activities and groups.
- Organize weekly outreach planning meetings and groups.
- Develop age and culturally appropriate materials, referrals, and education for young gay and bisexual men.
- Implement a social media engagement strategy to enhance community building, HIV testing, HIV linkage-to-care, and anti-HIV stigma activities.
- Identify and support condom distribution sites.
- Maintain client privacy and confidentiality at all times.
- Assist in the implementation of the HIV/STI screening and sexual health counseling to diverse youth and adults, which includes administering rapid HIV tests, specimen collection (i.e. blood, urine, pharyngeal & rectal swabs) and/or blood testing, as well handling/transporting specimens.
- Maintain and complete required documentation for all HIV/STI testing and client interventions.
- Complete reporting requirements as assigned to demonstrate effective implementation of the project.
- Participate in Project ARK/The SPOT staff meetings. Assist in the identification of key agenda items to strengthen the prevention team and services provided.
- Participate in regional and state level integrated HIV planning bodies and their subcommittees as requested by Prevention Program Manager.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and community outreach/education leadership experience (i.e., Associate Degree plus 2 years of HIV/AIDS and/or other community outreach/education leadership experience; or HIV/AIDS and/or other community outreach/education leadership experience; 5-plus years of experience will also be considered).
- Master of Science degree.
- Background and/or willingness to work with individuals vulnerable to and people living with HIV/AIDS.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Have knowledge and sensitivity about the needs and issues of various subpopulations such as youth, racial and ethnic minorities, sexual and gender minorities, and people living with HIV/AIDS.
- Willingness to work non-traditional hours (evenings & weekends).
- Possess a Class E or CDL license, or be willing to obtain one for mobile unit operation.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
The hiring range for this position is $15.85 - $19.43 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
Reliable transportation will be needed for this role.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Community Outreach Representative II - Pediatrics Infectious Disease - 49268
Job ID: 49268
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time