Washington University of St. Louis Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (West County) - Ophthalmology Clinical Practice - 49813 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Ophthalmology Clinical Practice. This position is located at Barnes West County.
Provides advanced administrative and technical support to an ophthalmologist in a clinical setting. Gathers important medical information and performs visual screening prior to Ophthalmologist’s visit with patient.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Must be able to perform all duties of the ophthalmic assistant in addition to the duties listed below:
- Performs kinetic and static visual fields test (Goldman & Humphrey).
- Assists with the clinical work up of patients including a detailed patient history.
- Helps patients understand general office evaluation and physician instructions.
- Performs gross refractions, keratometry, tonography and tonometry.
- Inserts and removes patient contact lenses when necessary; also provides contact lens instruction to patients.
- Performs BAT (Brightness acutity test) glare testing and PAM (Potential acutity meter) testing.
- Performs A-Scan ultrasound testing.
- Assists physicians with minor surgical procedures.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent high school certification.
- Completion of the AAO Home study course with one year of supervised ophthalmologic office experience.
- Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (COA).
- Experience in a clinical environment.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office software.
- Extensive knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the eye, medical terminology and abbreviations.
- Excellent communication and patient care skills.
- Ability to express a caring attitude while performing tasks required with accuracy and efficiency.
- Ability to maintain patient information in a strict confidential manner.
The hiring range for this position is $17.58 - $21.98 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
- Work is performed in a clinical office setting.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (West County) - Ophthalmology Clinical Practice - 49813
Job ID: 49813
Location: Medical School