Washington University of St. Louis Accounting Assistant II - Olin School of Business - 50393 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Administration in the Olin School of Business at the Danforth Campus.
This position is an integral part of the Accounting Department for the Olin Business School, supporting day-to-day financial operations. This position acts as the accounting representative for Olin’s departments and is responsible for all aspects of financial document processing, including, but not limited to, processing all accounts payable and accounts receivable functions in accordance with University policies and procedures. This position provides customer service support to faculty, staff, and students.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the Accounting Department Representative for operational and support departments at Olin Business School. Serve as the department’s initial point of contact for assistance with business services.
- Act as purchasing agent for department. This requires understanding departmental needs, budget restrictions, and policies and procedures. Work with department, University purchasing staff and vendors to evaluate needs, seek suitable products and services, and negotiate reasonable prices. Assist department staff and Associate Director of Accounting with creating request for proposals (RFP).
- Responsible for complete processing of financial transactions. This includes check requests, travel reports (domestic and international), travel advances, purchase orders, procurement card transactions, interdepartmental invoices, free balance invoices, journal entries, and wire transfers.
- Requires thorough and up to date knowledge of Olin Business School and Washington University policies and procedures to ensure all expenses adhere to spending guidelines. Ensure efficient, accurate, and timely completion of all transactions. Ensure financial transactions have proper approval, suitable supporting documentation and valid business purpose.
- Advise and resolve any compliance issues.
- This requires specific knowledge of the purpose of multiple accounts and subclass object codes. In consultation with department management and Accounting Department, determine appropriate account to be charged.
- Act as a liaison between vendors, departments, OBS Accounting and University Accounts Payable. Collaborate to resolve any questions or issues.
- Function as the point of contact for faculty, staff, and students seeking reimbursements for business or travel expenses.
- Review purchases for addition to floater insurance inventory as appropriate.
- Provide support for annual budget and monthly reporting process. Monitor account balances, maintain open encumbrances, and process journals.
- Assist with fiscal year-end closing process.
- Serve as a backup for Olin accounts receivable and payroll functions.
- Assume document processing responsibilities for other Accounting Assistant staff as needed for proper workflow.
- Train faculty, staff, and students on policies and procedures. Assist with creating or updating documentation on procedures and policies.
- Assist Associate Director of Accounting with projects and perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent high school certification.
- Three to five years of accounting/bookkeeping experience in a complex university or business environment.
- Experience working with financial accounting systems.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel and Word.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Working knowledge of/experience with University’s systems, policies and procedures.
The hiring range for this position is $17.83 - $22.80 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Accounting Assistant II - Olin School of Business - 50393
Job ID: 50393
Location: School of Business
Full/Part Time: Full-Time